MailScanner ANNOUNCE: stable 4.67.6 released

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 19:57:56 GMT 2008

Mike W wrote:
> I'm a non-guru, so please let me know when I've made a mistake.
>
> I've been unable to get MailScanner to use any anti-virus except for ClamAV.
>
> With that in mind, I deleted MS 4.66.5-3 and downloaded 4.67.6.
>
> I got compile failure in two  modules. perl-Archive-Zip and
> Perl-Storable. Install.sh continued and appeared to install
> MailScanner.  However, at runtime I get the following error:
>
> [root at cygni MailScanner-4.67.6-1]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner restart
> Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
>          MailScanner:                                      [FAILED]
>          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
> Waiting for MailScanner to die gracefully  dead.
> Starting MailScanner daemons:
>          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>          MailScanner:        is only avaliable with the XS version at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
> Compilation failed in require at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
> Compilation failed in require at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>
> I downloaded perl-Archive-Zip from the Fedora site, re-ran the install
> script and still have the same errors.  Running install.sh -nodeps makes
> no change.

Run the following 2 commands and post their entire output here:
MailScanner --debug
MailScanner --lint
The first command, if there is no mail in the queue, will eventually
reach a point where it says it is building a batch of messages and will
go no further, at which point you need to thump Ctrl-C to quit it.
MailScanner --lint will run to completion.

I think you will get an error message (or more) immediately from both of
the commands, and we need to see all the error output.

You may well have a library missing. Do you have both of these RPMs
installed
    libz
    libz-devel
If not, then install both of them. Compress-Zlib won't work without them.

> Anyone point me toward fixing this other than backing out perl and
> starting all over again?

Don't do that :-(

Jules

- --