alternate quarantine message

Magnus Axelsson maggih at mmedia.is
Mon Jun 30 17:18:29 IST 2008

Hi all.

I wonder if someone could tell me if the following is indeed possible.

I run a mail server which relays outgoing mail from a few hundred different domains through two mailscanner machines. Spam is eliminated if it get's spam score over 7.0, all confirmed virus messages are deleted, and "suspicious" files are quarantined and the recipient gets a message saying something like "the attachement was quarantined by X company's virus filtering. Please call xxxx or send mail to xxx at company.com...." etcetera.

now, the company recently merged with another ISP, whose customer base is not supposed to be acutely aware of the merger, they are in effect still customers of the former company which is still a seperate company in name. their outgoing mailservers are to be merged with our servers, and thus their mail to be routed the same way through the same mailscanner machines.

the problem I have is that if their outgoing attachments are filtered, the recipient is NOT supposed to get a quarantine message from MY company. However the requirement is that we use the same outgoing mailscanners. The former scanners for that company did not send any reports at all, and those machines are to be outmoded.

personally I wanted a seperate machine for this purpose, but administratively I'm not being allowed this option.

So I wonder, can Mailscanner be tweaked so as to issue a different quarantine message to recipient depending on the sender's domain?

sincerely
Magnús Hákon Axelsson
Reykjavik, Iceland