Updating an adopted installation from 4.54

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Jun 17 18:34:10 IST 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> It explains all this in pretty straightforward terms when you run it
>> without any command-line parameters at all.
>
> Yes, I'm sure it does.  But the instructions only tell you to *run* it
> if you're doing an in-place upgrade.
>
> I wasn't.  I was trying to do a parallel install, so I could test it
> and be able to back out if I screwed something up, as I noted.  So I
> was using the "fresh install" instructions, and they don't mention it,
> for oblivious raisins.  ;-)

What I usually do in that situation is to tar up the /etc/MailScanner
tree and copy it to the new host, then do the install.  The installer
will see the old conf & rule files, and create .rpmnew flavors.  It
won't care that it isn't really already installed.  You can then run the
upgrade_MailScanner script with expected results.

BTY, Julian's published a book on MailScanner - it's worth the price of
admission.  Especially if you boss is picking up the tab...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500