Updating an adopted installation from 4.54

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 17 18:20:14 IST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:50:55PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> >Sort of. You should run the upgrade script from the new install,
> >supplying the old MailScanner.conf as the old file, and the new
> >MailScanner.conf file as the "rpmnew" one:-). I *think* the upgrade
> >script will instruct you correctly if you run it without an argument.
> >It needs the new "default" file so that it can tell what options to
> >remove/add from the old one. It will print the new and improved
> >version on standard output, so just redirect that to a file
> >MailScanner.new, look through that one, so that it looks OK, then move
> >it into place on the new install.

> It explains all this in pretty straightforward terms when you run it
> without any command-line parameters at all.

Yes, I'm sure it does.  But the instructions only tell you to *run* it
if you're doing an in-place upgrade.

I wasn't.  I was trying to do a parallel install, so I could test it
and be able to back out if I screwed something up, as I noted.  So I
was using the "fresh install" instructions, and they don't mention it,
for oblivious raisins.  ;-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.