Problems with TNEF and long filenames

Ehle, Roland roland at inbox4u.de
Wed Jan 30 20:49:29 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I use "Use TNEF Contents = replace"  and "Deliver Unparsable TNEF = no" to get rid of the winmail.dat grab from Outlook clients using Outlook Richtext Format.

It was brought to my attention, that this setting causes long filenames to be shortened: For example a file named "test datei mit sehr sehr langem dateinamen und viel bla bla.txt.txt" arrives as "test datei mit.txt" at the recipients mailbox.

If I leave TNEF contents untouched, the filename is not changed.

The above happens when using external TNEF decoder and the internal one. Same behavior with both.

Has somebody experienced the same problem? Any hints to avoid the problem, other than sending files with long filenames inside a ZIP-file?

Thanks.

Regards,

Roland