[OT] Help Desk Software

Michael Mansour micoots at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 10:34:29 GMT 2008

Hi,

--- mikea <mikea at mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 09:01:02AM -0500, Ugo
> Bellavance wrote:
> > Brendan Pirie wrote:
> > >We've been looking into
> http://bestpractical.com/rt/ as a result of
> > >recommendations from several people.
> >
> > I use it and love it.  Not trivial to install
> though.
>
> RT is excellent for helpdesk service, but needs
> configuration.
>
> The helpdesk products I'm familiar with are:
>
> Request Tracker - www.bestpractical.com/rt/
> Kana - www.kana.com/
> Remedy - www.remedy.com/
>
> and a tiny bit with
>
> Open source Ticket Request System - otrs.org/

I can vouch for OTRS as we use it at a managed
services firm where I consult periodically (one of my
first projects there was to set it up for them). It's
a very good system and works very well.

With helpdesk systems however, it all comes down to
what you wish to achieve and how you wish to achieve
it. All Helpdesk systems require configuration and are
flexible enough to be able to do "weird" things with
cases and group assignments (let your imagination run
wild here).

I've used many paid and open source solutions over the
years but the ones I prefer are OTRS and RT (again,
depending on customers requirements).

Regards,

Michael.