People forget to install unrar

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sun Jan 6 14:15:59 GMT 2008

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, Julian Field wrote:

> This is one problem I see time and again on other people's systems, they
> never remember to install unrar, which means that MailScanner cannot
> check filenames or filetypes in RAR archives.
>
> Anyone got any good practical ideas on how I might go about solving this
> one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jules

Julian,

    I just updated to unrarsrc-3.7.6 a few days ago, concurrent with
installing MS 4.66.5.  I don't remember what motivated me to do this;
previously I had unrar 3.5.4 installed.  Must have been new-year
enthusiasum.

    Any chance that unrarsrc (from www.rarlab.com, you have to hunt for
the download) can be included and built like tnef is?  There might
be legal issues with unrarlab on this.

FWIW, I occasionally *do* see rar files at my sight; I don't know why.
Mailscanner deals with them nicely.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College