http proxy:suggestion

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 10:29:08 GMT 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Rick Cooper wrote:

>  > <t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk> wrote:
>  > >  [...]
>  > >>  What still seems absent is recognising "http_proxy" when
>  > run under "cron".
>  > >>
>  > >>  Those scripts already do:
>  > >>    if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner ] ; then
>  > >>         . /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner
>  > >>    fi
>  > >>
>  > >>  But that file seems oriented to variables specific to
>  > "MailScanner.conf".
>  > >>
>  > >>  Could there also be a "/etc/sysconfig/MailScannerEnv"
>  > (or similar) whose
>  > >>  purpose would be for environment variables for scripts?
>
> [...] That said, why not use the (.)?wgetrc and (.)?curlrc files to
> enter the default proxy/user/password information on systems that need this
> information? I have done this in the past for a specific server for a
> specific reason.

Good idea.  Thanks. I've just tried it (/etc/wgetrc) and it seems to
work... for the 'update_phishing_sites' and 'update_bad_phishing_sites'
cron jobs.

That just leaves the MS 'update_spamassassin' cron job; is there some way
to arrange for it, when run under 'cron', to obtain 'http_proxy' somehow
from somewhere?

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :