Mailscanner filename and filetype rules

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 19 22:41:36 GMT 2008

on 12-19-2008 2:30 PM traced spake the following:
> Scott Silva schrieb:
>> on 12-19-2008 10:43 AM traced spake the following:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> do you use the default settings shipped with mailscanner for filename-
>>> and type checking? I played around with them the last few days, and
>>> think that they are, hmm, lets call paranoid.
>>>
>>> My users are sending a lot of zipped files across the web, containing
>>> word ducuments, powerpoint presentations, and sometimes complete zipped
>>> folders, including some .lnk windows link files. Such mails never go
>>> through the gates, heres an example:
>>> What good does it do to send windows .lnk files?
>> If I send you a link to c:\blabla.txt, you won't be able to open it
>> anyway.
>>

> They don´t even know that in the zip file are .lnk files,they just zip
> complete folders, containing access databases and word dokuments, and
> links to other dokument. I can´t tell them to sort them out, there are
> sitting "house-wives" on computers they hardly understand. You can´t
> even imagine how happy I was to made them understand how to zip a
> folder :-)
OK... I have some of those also. Even though I added a half a page of helpful
comments to the warning page, they still do it all the time. I just laugh at
them quietly to myself. Just another way to break the monotony!

How many times do you have to get a message that says "you can't do that"
until you finally stop trying?

But they usually slap themselves on the forehead and get it right the second
time, and then forget completely their embarrassment in a few days and do it
again. You just can't find comedy like that any more. It is like giving the
three stooges computers and setting them loose!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and