Spam assassin timeouts

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 12:06:06 GMT 2008

2008/12/8 vinayan KP <mailwatch.kp at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> We use a mailscanner installed almost three years ago and was working
> perfectly till last week detecting and tagging each and every spam
> mail correctly and letting only genuine mails untagged.
>
> Since last week I could see each user is getting a lot of spam mails
> with out getting tagged as {Spam?} and I could see from the log the
> following lines.
>
> Dec  8 16:54:13 fedora MailScanner[2162]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 16 of 20
> Dec  8 16:54:13 fedora MailScanner[2087]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 19 of 20
> Dec  8 16:54:18 fedora MailScanner[2050]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 13 of 20
> Dec  8 16:54:21 fedora MailScanner[2230]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 15 of 20
>
> I can not see the lines in the mail header that used to be earlier
> showing the RBLs spamassassin checked and the score from each list
> now.
>
> Could someone help me with some idea/hints.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Vinayan

Spamassassin timeouts are usually down to SA RBLs (and URIrbls) taking
too long. make sure you are using only RBL's you want (give others a
zero score in spam.assassin.prefs.conf) and make sure you are running
all the latest versions of MS and SA.

A local caching nameserver on the mailscanner machine helps alot as well.

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK