Spam assassin timeouts

ram ram at netcore.co.in
Mon Dec 8 12:39:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 17:09 +0530, vinayan KP wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We use a mailscanner installed almost three years ago and was working
> perfectly till last week detecting and tagging each and every spam
> mail correctly and letting only genuine mails untagged.
>
> Since last week I could see each user is getting a lot of spam mails
> with out getting tagged as {Spam?} and I could see from the log the
> following lines.
>
> Dec  8 16:54:13 fedora MailScanner[2162]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 16 of 20
> Dec  8 16:54:13 fedora MailScanner[2087]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 19 of 20
> Dec  8 16:54:18 fedora MailScanner[2050]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 13 of 20
> Dec  8 16:54:21 fedora MailScanner[2230]: SpamAssassin timed out (with
> no network checks) and was killed, failure 15 of 20

Lookup this List archive .. this has been asked multiple times here
Usually it is DNS , but you seem to have these tests off already

* Did you check your Bayes size

* What is the h/w configuration on this server and what is the traffic
(Remember h/w is usually much cheaper than wasting too much time trying
to diagnose a load issue unless it is obvious )

Anyway When you machine starts timing out SA
run
spamassass -D -t < /path/somemail.eml 2>&1 | tee /tmp/sa_timeout.log

The logfile should give you enough inputs, else post it here