mail passes through spamassassin and clamd but sticks in hold queue, never delivered to local mailbox

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 09:10:30 IST 2008

> Every test I can find on the web and in lists seems to pass however mail
> just sits in hold queue undelivered for local recipients even though local
> recipient checks pass in Postfix and MailScanner seems to run it through
> clamd and spamassassin ending with a maillog notice of the message being
> whitelisted.  Local mailbox delivery never occurs.

[...]

> MailScanner[14410]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.68.8
> starting...
> MailScanner[14410]: Read 819 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
> MailScanner[14410]: Read 3832 hostnames from the phishing blacklist
> MailScanner[14410]: Config: calling custom init function SQLBlacklist
> MailScanner[14410]: Starting up SQL Blacklist
> MailScanner[14410]: Read 0 blacklist entries
> MailScanner[14410]: Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
> MailScanner[14410]: Started SQL Logging child
> MailScanner[14410]: Config: calling custom init function SQLWhitelist
> MailScanner[14410]: Starting up SQL Whitelist
> MailScanner[14410]: Read 1 whitelist entries
> MailScanner[14410]: SpamAssassin temporary working directory is
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
> MailScanner[14410]: Using SpamAssassin results cache
> MailScanner[14410]: Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
> MailScanner[14410]: Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality...
> MailScanner[14410]: Using locktype = flock
> update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
> update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for clamav
> ClamAV-autoupdate[14470]: ClamAV did not need updating
> update.virus.scanners: Found generic installed
> update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for generic

I don't see any processing entry in the maillog for any mail.
MailScanner will also print some stuff when it processes a mail. What
you've posted above is just the MailScanner startup chatting.

Do a

#> MailScanner --lint

Also, did you set the following in MailScanner.conf (beware, you might
have to adjust some directory acls if you just change it now!)

Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
MTA = postfix

Cheers,
Ronny