mail passes through spamassassin and clamd but sticks in hold queue, never delivered to local mailbox

Jeff Pitoniak jpitoniak at cybervzhn.com
Mon Apr 28 01:45:58 IST 2008

I have dug, sifted, and searched through everything I could find in regard
to this issue and nothing has resolved my mail stuck in hold queue issue.

Every test I can find on the web and in lists seems to pass however mail
just sits in hold queue undelivered for local recipients even though local
recipient checks pass in Postfix and MailScanner seems to run it through
clamd and spamassassin ending with a maillog notice of the message being
whitelisted.  Local mailbox delivery never occurs.

I cannot seem to find anything other than an innocuous error related to
pyzor.  Mail is just never moved out of the hold queue.  I have tested
clamav and EICAR is detected and deleted, spamassassin checks appear to be
working.

/var/log/maillog excerpt of startup

MailScanner[14410]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.68.8
starting...
MailScanner[14410]: Read 819 hostnames from the phishing whitelist
MailScanner[14410]: Read 3832 hostnames from the phishing blacklist
MailScanner[14410]: Config: calling custom init function SQLBlacklist
MailScanner[14410]: Starting up SQL Blacklist
MailScanner[14410]: Read 0 blacklist entries
MailScanner[14410]: Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
MailScanner[14410]: Started SQL Logging child
MailScanner[14410]: Config: calling custom init function SQLWhitelist
MailScanner[14410]: Starting up SQL Whitelist
MailScanner[14410]: Read 1 whitelist entries
MailScanner[14410]: SpamAssassin temporary working directory is
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/SpamAssassin-Temp
MailScanner[14410]: Using SpamAssassin results cache
MailScanner[14410]: Connected to SpamAssassin cache database
MailScanner[14410]: Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality...
MailScanner[14410]: Using locktype = flock
update.virus.scanners: Found clamav installed
update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for clamav
ClamAV-autoupdate[14470]: ClamAV did not need updating
update.virus.scanners: Found generic installed
update.virus.scanners: Running autoupdate for generic

Message stuck in hold queue with an ! at the end of the QueueID...

Best regards,
Jeff Pitoniak
--
RHEL 5.1 Postfix 2.3.3-2 MailScanner 4.68.8 Mailwatch 1.0.4 SpamAssassin
3.1.9-1 ClamAV 0.93-1 Dovecot 1.0-1.2.rc15 Squirrelmail 1.4.8-4.0.1