MailScanner defunct processes

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 24 18:01:43 IST 2008

Dave Jones wrote:

>>> There's your problem. I don't know what is generating "Error PPS:0" but
>>> that's certainly the problem. Do a
>>>   grep -rl 'Error PPS' /usr/lib/perl5
>>> and see what it says.
>>>

>>> Jules
>>>

>> [root at server2 MailScanner]# grep -rl 'Error PPS' /usr/lib/perl5
>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/OLE/Storage_Lite.pm
>> [root at server2 MailScanner]#
>>
> Update:  The Storage_Lite.pm files are identical on the 2 servers.  I
> tried rpmbuild'ing the module but it looks the same.  How do I
> troubleshoot what is using this Perl module and can this functionality
> be disabled by a MailScanner.conf setting?  I don't think we use any
> OLE document processing.
>
> Our Nagios monitoring is now alerting us on some mail loop checks we
> have in place for the problem server.  Further investigating shows the
> we had a period of around 1 hour and 20 minutes early this morning
> that MailScanner did not move any messages from the inbound queue to
> the outbound queue.  The maillog shows 276 "is whitelisted" messages
> for a single message ID but that MailScanner process never goes on to
> the next step.  During this time period, we had almost all (if not
> all) of the MailScanner processes in a defunct state.  I am pretty
> sure that the normal MailScanner restart "woke up" the email flow
> based on the maillog.

Any chance you could find the problem message and send me a zipped-up
copy of it for me to work with?
The only way to disable the Storage_Lite code is to comment out the
calls to sub "ExtractOle" in Message.pm (in
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner). Otherwise it is automatically used
whenever it sees an attachment which starts with the "magic" strings
that define a Microsoft Office document.

If we can narrow down the problem to a particular call in Storage_Lite,
then I can post a bugfix to the maintainer. Without it, there's little I
can do.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng