MailScanner defunct processes

Dave Jones davejones70 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 17:15:11 IST 2008

>>> [root at server2 MailScanner]# MailScanner --debug
>>> In Debugging mode, not forking...
>>> Trying to setlogsock(unix)
>>> SpamAssassin temp dir = /mnt/ramdisk/SpamAssassin-Temp
>>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1088.
>>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm line 1090.
>>> Building a message batch to scan...
>>> Have a batch of 30 messages.
>>> Error PPS:0
>>>
>>There's your problem. I don't know what is generating "Error PPS:0" but
>>that's certainly the problem. Do a
>>   grep -rl 'Error PPS' /usr/lib/perl5
>>and see what it says.

>>Jules

>[root at server2 MailScanner]# grep -rl 'Error PPS' /usr/lib/perl5
>/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/OLE/Storage_Lite.pm
>[root at server2 MailScanner]#
Update:  The Storage_Lite.pm files are identical on the 2 servers.  I
tried rpmbuild'ing the module but it looks the same.  How do I
troubleshoot what is using this Perl module and can this functionality
be disabled by a MailScanner.conf setting?  I don't think we use any
OLE document processing.

Our Nagios monitoring is now alerting us on some mail loop checks we
have in place for the problem server.  Further investigating shows the
we had a period of around 1 hour and 20 minutes early this morning
that MailScanner did not move any messages from the inbound queue to
the outbound queue.  The maillog shows 276 "is whitelisted" messages
for a single message ID but that MailScanner process never goes on to
the next step.  During this time period, we had almost all (if not
all) of the MailScanner processes in a defunct state.  I am pretty
sure that the normal MailScanner restart "woke up" the email flow
based on the maillog.

--
Dave Jones