MCP broke after upgrade

Renee Gehlbach krgehlba at lexairinc.com
Thu Apr 17 01:58:21 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Renee Gehlbach wrote:
>>> If that doesn't say the rules are being read in, then it's not a
>>> MailScanner problem. You need to get that to read the rules, and
>>> admit to it, first.
>> I am unsure whether had just previously overlooked it, or whether I
>> have changed a setting which changed the output since I last
>> carefully read that output, but current output from spamassassin -p
>> /usr/local/etc/Mailscanner/mcp --lint -D does include:
>> [6916] dbg: config: read file
>> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf
>> [6916] dbg: config: using "/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp/" for user
>> prefs file
>> [6916] dbg: config: read file
>> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//10_example.cf
>> [6916] dbg: config: read file
>> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//bad.words.body.cf
>> [6916] dbg: config: read file
>> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//bad.words.from.cf
>> [6916] dbg: config: read file
>> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//bad.words.subject.cf
> That's a good start. Now, if you use "Run As User", then su to the
> user you have set there, and run the command again. Can it still read
> the files?
>
> Do the "last accessed" (ls -lu) date stamps on the cf files change
> when you start up MailScanner and push a message through it? Best way
> to test it is to do something like this:
>    cd /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp
>    ls -lu
>    sleep 60 # (or just wait a minute or 2, go get a cup of coffee)
>    MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
>    ls -lu
> and see if the times have changed on the files. If they haven't
> changed, then it's never seeing your cf files for some reason, and
> that's where you should start looking. If they have changed, then it's
> reading them but not triggering the rules or adding up the scores or
> something like that. This is all fairly basic diagnostic stuff which
> you could do with learning :-) so hopefully you'll learn a few tricks
> from this analysis as you go along. :-)
>
> Jules

I do not use "Run as User".  MailScanner runs as root, and yes root has
access to those files & directories =)  The access times do change on
the files.  I do have "Detailed MCP Report" set to yes, so we should see
if a rule is triggered, and nothing is showing as being triggered.  This
includes the sample rules in 10_example.cf

Thanks,
Renee