MCP broke after upgrade

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 23:25:44 IST 2008

Renee Gehlbach wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>> spamassassin -p /usr/local/etc/Mailscanner/mcp --lint -D
>> If that doesn't say the rules are being read in, then it's not a
>> MailScanner problem. You need to get that to read the rules, and
>> admit to it, first.
> I am unsure whether had just previously overlooked it, or whether I
> have changed a setting which changed the output since I last carefully
> read that output, but current output from spamassassin -p
> /usr/local/etc/Mailscanner/mcp --lint -D does include:
> [6916] dbg: config: read file
> /usr/local/etc/mail/spamassassin/mailscanner.cf
> [6916] dbg: config: using "/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp/" for user
> prefs file
> [6916] dbg: config: read file
> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//10_example.cf
> [6916] dbg: config: read file
> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//bad.words.body.cf
> [6916] dbg: config: read file
> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//bad.words.from.cf
> [6916] dbg: config: read file
> /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp//bad.words.subject.cf
That's a good start. Now, if you use "Run As User", then su to the user
you have set there, and run the command again. Can it still read the files?

Do the "last accessed" (ls -lu) date stamps on the cf files change when
you start up MailScanner and push a message through it? Best way to test
it is to do something like this:
    cd /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/mcp
    ls -lu
    sleep 60 # (or just wait a minute or 2, go get a cup of coffee)
    MailScanner --debug --debug-sa
    ls -lu
and see if the times have changed on the files. If they haven't changed,
then it's never seeing your cf files for some reason, and that's where
you should start looking. If they have changed, then it's reading them
but not triggering the rules or adding up the scores or something like
that. This is all fairly basic diagnostic stuff which you could do with
learning :-) so hopefully you'll learn a few tricks from this analysis
as you go along. :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng