OT - MailScanner to deliver email copies to two downstream ma chines.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 10:01:19 IST 2008

Ken Goods wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> Ken Goods wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>
>>> This is what I did:
>>> In MailScanner.conf
>>> Archive Mail = %rules-dir%/archive.rules
>>>
>>> In archive.rules
>>> To:	me at originaldomain.com deliver forward me at test.originaldomain.com
>>> To:	boss at originaldomain.com deliver forward
>>> boss at test.originaldomain.com Default:	no
>>>

>> You meant "FromOrTo: default" for the last line. As you want it to not
>> archive to anywhere, you give the same response you would give for
>> "Archive Mail =", which is just an empty string. So don't say "no",
>> say a blank or empty string. Saying "no" is the equivalent of a line
>> in MailScanner.conf that said "Archive Mail = no" which is clearly not
>> sensible.
>>

> Thanks Jules, but as soon as I restarted MailScanner it let me know that
> there was an error in line three of archive.rules and that got me squared
> away. So you already anticipated this one and answered it through your
> wonderful software! :)
>

>>> (with tabs between each...couldn't remember if it would take spaces
>>> or required tabs)
>>>

>> The only time tabs are required are in the filename.rules.conf and
>> filetype.rules.conf files. If I didn't insist on tabs there, you
>> wouldn't be able to match expressions (or "file" command output) that
>> had any spaces in them, and you wouldn't be able to have log output
>> and user response strings with any spaces in them. So I have to
>> insist on tabs there, but nowhere else.
>>

> That should help me remember where one can and can't use spaces. It all
> makes sense now so I won't have to ask again... hopefully. :)
>
> BTW Julian, I can't tell you how much I appreciate MailScanner and all the
> hard work you've put into it and the work you continue to put into it. It's
> an amazing piece of software. We only have about 150 mailboxes and only
> process about 8,000 emails a day (I block several countries at the firewall
> and use two RBLs in Sendmail), but we do this on a lowly PII 450MHZ with
> 256MB of ram! Up until last June we were using a P100 with 256MB. It just
> cooks along processing at about 10 seconds per email all the while not
> letting one virus through and eliminating 99% of the spam making it to the
> box. I understand it would run better on more muscle but I'm just letting
> you know that the work you've put into the performance-tuning options has
> not been in vain. Every time it looked like I was going to have to upgrade
> the server I found another tweak that allowed us to process more mail on the
> same hardware. I'll be moving MailScanner to a dual 2.4 GHZ w/2GB as soon as
> I get this Zimbra server set up, speaking of that and getting back to the
> original OT-topic :), mails for the two accounts are showing upon both
> servers thanks to your "Archive Mail" option.
>
> A thousand thanks to you!

Thank you very much for your very kind comments. It's always good to
read things like that, and it is much appreciated.

I don't supposed you fancy trying to pursuade your PHB of the financial
value of the software, and trying to get him to make a donation please?
:-) I can issue you a very nice invoice for consultancy work and
maintenance if that helps.

Thanks again,

Jules

--