OT - MailScanner to deliver email copies to two downstream ma chines.

Ken Goods kgoods at cropusainsurance.com
Wed Apr 16 04:26:56 IST 2008

Andrei Caraman wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:51:57AM -0700, Ken Goods wrote:
>
>> In SendMail's mailertable I added:
>> test.originaldomain.com	SMTP:[xx.xx.xx.xx] (IP of the Zimbra server)
>
> don't forget to do a "makemap hash mailertable ...." or else sendmail
> doesn't see the change.  i speak from experience :)
>
> someone else may comment on the merits of using esmtp instead of smtp
> on that mailertable line...
>
>> Do I need to add "test.originaldomain.com" to sendmail's
>> virtuser-domain?
>
> no, because @test.originaldomain.com addresses are not local to the
> gateway. a "sendmail -bv you at test.originaldomain.com" may come in
> handy.
>
>> Seems like this should do the trick. But before I restart
>> MailScanner can I get a confirmation? :)
>
> one other thing you may have already considered:  there will be lots
> and lots of mail on the zimbra box.  will anyone be looking at that?
> i'm assuming the users only connect to the old server...
>

> adc

Thanks Andrei,
I'm not a Sendmail guru by any means (and don't intend to be either BTW ;))
so the reminder to makemap was helpful, I probably would have forgotten and
had to chase that one down. :) I thought about the virtuser-domain question
after I posted and it just made sense that I shouldn't have to add it for
the reason you suggested. I do have my other domains in there because I use
virtuser for recipient verification to the Exchange box.

We don't process that much mail (see my other post to Jules) and for now I'm
just forwarding two accounts over to that server to assess viability for our
shop. It's working fine now and we will be looking in on it throughout the
day and trying to see how we're going to sell it to the PHB.

Thanks again for your input and help,
Ken

Ken Goods
Network Administrator