OT - MailScanner to deliver email copies to two downstream ma chines.

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 21:17:36 IST 2008

Ken Goods wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> shuttlebox wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Ken Goods
>>> <kgoods at cropusainsurance.com> wrote:
>>>

> *Snip*
>
>>> http://www.milter.info/sendmail/roundhouse/
>>>

>> Or there's milter-bcc which I find a bit easier to use.
>> If you want to do it in MailScanner, I would use a ruleset attached to
>> "Archive Mail" which can take arbitrary email addresses. Then do the
>> mailertable stuff someone has already told you about. I only suggest
>> Archive Mail as it's just 1 option you need to set instead of 3 (spam
>> actions, high-scoring spam actions and non-spam actions).
>>
>> Jules
>>

> Thanks for all suggestions! I've added roundhouse and milter-bcc to my
> valuable links in case I need them in the future but I decided to go with
> Julian's "Archive Mail" solution because it was my initial thought... just
> didn't know if it would work.
>
> What I really wanted to do was to have identical accounts on both
> machines... in other words, I wanted an account me at originaldomain.com on the
> zimbra server along with the existing me at originaldomain.com on the Exchange
> box and forward emails from the MailScanner box to the *same* email address
> on the two downstream boxes. I couldn't find an example of how to do this
> with either milter... most of what I saw was to forward or bcc to a
> *different* account (or different domain) which can be done easily with
> Julian's "Archive Mail".
>
> So I created a sub-domain on the Zimbra server (test.originaldomain.com) and
> moved the existing me at originaldomain.com to me at test.originaldomain.com. This
> was easy to do and the existing 200MB+ mail box was intact. I'm thinking I
> may be able to use this trick (just reverse it) when making the move into
> production however I'm not sure how it will affect the global calendars and
> meeting requests as they rely on the original email address.
>
> Andrei, Thanks for the tip on the new beta feature, I hadn't loaded the new
> beta yet either but I'm thinking that when it comes time for the switch-over
> it may come in very handy to simply forward all mails to both servers until
> all accounts are migrated.
>
> Please give this quick once-over and see if I understood it correctly.
>
> This is what I did:
> In MailScanner.conf
> Archive Mail = %rules-dir%/archive.rules
>
> In archive.rules
> To:	me at originaldomain.com deliver forward me at test.originaldomain.com
> To:	boss at originaldomain.com deliver forward boss at test.originaldomain.com
> Default:	no

You meant "FromOrTo: default" for the last line. As you want it to not
archive to anywhere, you give the same response you would give for
"Archive Mail =", which is just an empty string. So don't say "no", say
a blank or empty string. Saying "no" is the equivalent of a line in
MailScanner.conf that said "Archive Mail = no" which is clearly not
sensible.
> (with tabs between each...couldn't remember if it would take spaces or
> required tabs)

The only time tabs are required are in the filename.rules.conf and
filetype.rules.conf files. If I didn't insist on tabs there, you
wouldn't be able to match expressions (or "file" command output) that
had any spaces in them, and you wouldn't be able to have log output and
user response strings with any spaces in them. So I have to insist on
tabs there, but nowhere else.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng