Watermark checking doesn't work

Arjan Schrijver arjan at anymore.nl
Wed Apr 9 10:17:50 IST 2008

Hi people,

This watermarking feature sounds very good given all the spam
backscatter I'm receiving the past weeks. So I set the following options
in MailScanner.conf:

Use Watermarking = yes
Add Watermark = yes
Check Watermarks With No Sender = yes
Treat Invalid Watermarks With No Sender as Spam = spam
Check Watermarks To Skip Spam Checks = no
Watermark Secret = (this is secret)
Watermark Lifetime = 432000
Watermark Header = X-%org-name%-MailScanner-Watermark:

Now, the watermark is being added to each mail fine. I get the header in
every outgoing mail. When I send a mail to a nonexisting address, it
gets interesting. The DSN is being returned as it should, including my
original X-%org-name%-MailScanner-Watermark header. However, MailScanner
doesn't think it is a legitimate watermark, or it can't find the sender
address. I get this logline for the DSN:

Apr  9 10:53:37 arenta MailScanner[32447]: Message 82BDF1E018B.CC35D
from ######### has no (or invalid) watermark or sender address

Is there more configuration I need to do, or is this feature simply
still in development and it doesn't work?

Kind regards,
Arjan