misuse MailScanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:25:10 IST 2008

On 08/04/2008, Michael Weis <wm at meta.net> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>  we are planing to create an email-account to which
>  only mails with attachments will be send.
>
>  I have the job to extract this attachments from
>  the mail and handle them
>  (save, print, archive)
>
>  So far so good, but I have no idea
>  how to get the attachments to a disk.
>
>  I know mailscanner does this while scanning
>  for viruses (right?).
>
>  So how can I tell mailscanner to just save
>  attachments from a certain user's emails ?
>  (no problem if they were scanned before)
>
>  I searched the mailing-list-archive
>  but it seemed that nobody has to do this
>  before.

You can use numerous tools and do this at several "levels"... Since
the non-spam quarantine wouldn't contain the "decoded" attachment, you
can't use that (a simple "store" for that user in a ruleset on Non
Spam Actions), but rather would have to do something else ... a
CustomFunction or perhaps the spiffy SpamAssassin rule actions... But
simplest would perhaps be to use procmail at delivery and/or some tool
like mmdecode/metamail or whatnot.
Been a few years (... like ... 10...:-) since last I needed do
anything like that... might be easier now:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn