SA times out

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Sat Apr 5 04:29:13 IST 2008

Julian Field wrote:

> Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>>> All done. It will be in the next release.
>>>

>> Ahm, Julian, now that I have used the MS debugging feature a few times
>> I think being able to grab a single ID may be nice, but not really
>> helpful for a production machine. I have to disable at least MS if I
>> want to debug (otherwise it would "steal" the queue files) and usually
>> this is not done within a few seconds, but takes at least five minutes
>> or more, maybe repeatedly. It would be nice if I could specify an
>> alternative queue directory, so I can run a MailScanner instance in
>> parallel to the production daemon and debug files from that directory
>> while the normal sendmail/MS operation isn't affected. I think this
>> would be much more helpful than specifying a certain ID.
>>
> You can stop MailScanner completely, then restart the incoming sendmail
> (or whatever MTA you use) so that you are providing email service to
> your users. Then run MailScanner on the particular ID you want to test
> it with. Then when you are happy, resume normal operation.
> Stop everything and start incoming MTA:
>    service MailScanner stop
>    service MailScanner startin
> Run it on 1 id:
>    MailScanner --debug --id=<message-id>
> Start up everything normally
>    service MailScanner restart
>
> Should solve the problem for you. Saves me writing more code :-)

In my case, in the time it took to run debug four times I gained 400
messages in the queue. I don't get much time to ponder the results. What
I did this week was dump the output to file and then alternate which of
the servers I stopped MS on so as to spread the downtime.

I am considering pushing a VMWare install up on the network and then
installing roundhouse, just for testing with future upgrades. Which is
arguably the smart option.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with