SA times out

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Apr 5 15:23:04 IST 2008

DAve wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>

>> Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>>> Ahm, Julian, now that I have used the MS debugging feature a few
>>> times I think being able to grab a single ID may be nice, but not
>>> really helpful for a production machine. I have to disable at least
>>> MS if I want to debug (otherwise it would "steal" the queue files)
>>> and usually this is not done within a few seconds, but takes at
>>> least five minutes or more, maybe repeatedly. It would be nice if I
>>> could specify an alternative queue directory, so I can run a
>>> MailScanner instance in parallel to the production daemon and debug
>>> files from that directory while the normal sendmail/MS operation
>>> isn't affected. I think this would be much more helpful than
>>> specifying a certain ID.
>>>
>> You can stop MailScanner completely, then restart the incoming
>> sendmail (or whatever MTA you use) so that you are providing email
>> service to your users. Then run MailScanner on the particular ID you
>> want to test it with. Then when you are happy, resume normal operation.
>> Stop everything and start incoming MTA:
>>    service MailScanner stop
>>    service MailScanner startin
>> Run it on 1 id:
>>    MailScanner --debug --id=<message-id>
>> Start up everything normally
>>    service MailScanner restart
>>
>> Should solve the problem for you. Saves me writing more code :-)
>
> In my case, in the time it took to run debug four times I gained 400
> messages in the queue. I don't get much time to ponder the results.
> What I did this week was dump the output to file and then alternate
> which of the servers I stopped MS on so as to spread the downtime.
>
> I am considering pushing a VMWare install up on the network and then
> installing roundhouse, just for testing with future upgrades. Which is
> arguably the smart option.
milter-bcc is a simple solution that roundhouse, much faster to setup.
You just put in a mailertable entry for the recipient you bcc to, can be
any domain name you make up. That's what I do (except I didn't know
about milter-bcc at the time so use a home-grown version of it written
in a few lines of Perl).

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng