Problem with Sendmail smf-sav Milter

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 14:30:59 IST 2008

On 03/04/2008, Brendan Pirie <bpirie at rma.edu> wrote:
> Johnny Stork wrote:
>
> > I recently installed the sendmail  smf-sav mitler to do sender and
> recipient address verification on my MailScanner gateway running the latest
> release on Centos5. However, the recipient checks dont appear to be working
> since I still get all the spam coming in to non-existent addresses. I
> beleive I know where the problem might be. The MailScanner gateway accepts
> mail for the mydomain.ca domain, but after processing simply forwards to an
> internal Scalix server through a sendmail mailertable entry. For instance,
> the email address below, or username, does not exist on the MailScanner
> gateway running smf-sav. Nor does that email address or account exist on the
> internal Scalix server, but the message passed recpient verification.
> >
> > recipient check succeeded: <bonny.german at mydomain.ca>
> >
> > Would I need to setup checks through ldap or something to have the smf-sav
> milter. I know I should be checking the smf-sav forums and so will also
> check there.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

>  Johnny,
>
>  I'm using smf-sav milter with sendmail 8.13.8 and it works wonderfully,
> without the use of ldap anywhere.  My MailStore is running sendmail 8.12.11
> (soon to be upgraded).  smf-sav uses call-ahead to verify addresses, so ldap
> isn't necessary, and it should work with any RFC compliant MTA.  If you can
> post your configs for sendmail and smf-sav I/we can take a look.  I do
> recall running into an issue where the documentation on adding smf-sav
> milter to sendmail.mc was outdated for recent sendmail versions.
>
>  Brendan

Might be it... Or the Scalix box might be misconfigured, accepting
anything... You know ... "It's important we get all mails, even the
typo'd ones, so we setup a catchall mailbox"... Or similar
stupidity:-).
Johnny, use telnet (from your MailScanner box) to verify that the
Scalix box does the right thing (look in the MS wiki for how to do
this... Somewhere like
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:test_troubleshoot:mta:connexion).

Cheers
--