Problem with Sendmail smf-sav Milter

Brendan Pirie bpirie at rma.edu
Thu Apr 3 13:25:19 IST 2008

Johnny Stork wrote:
> I recently installed the sendmail  smf-sav mitler to do sender and
> recipient address verification on my MailScanner gateway running the
> latest release on Centos5. However, the recipient checks dont appear to
> be working since I still get all the spam coming in to non-existent
> addresses. I beleive I know where the problem might be. The MailScanner
> gateway accepts mail for the mydomain.ca domain, but after processing
> simply forwards to an internal Scalix server through a sendmail
> mailertable entry. For instance, the email address below, or username,
> does not exist on the MailScanner gateway running smf-sav. Nor does that
> email address or account exist on the internal Scalix server, but the
> message passed recpient verification.
>
> recipient check succeeded: <bonny.german at mydomain.ca>
>
> Would I need to setup checks through ldap or something to have the
> smf-sav milter. I know I should be checking the smf-sav forums and so
> will also check there.
>
> Thanks

Johnny,

I'm using smf-sav milter with sendmail 8.13.8 and it works wonderfully,
without the use of ldap anywhere.  My MailStore is running sendmail
8.12.11 (soon to be upgraded).  smf-sav uses call-ahead to verify
addresses, so ldap isn't necessary, and it should work with any RFC
compliant MTA.  If you can post your configs for sendmail and smf-sav
I/we can take a look.  I do recall running into an issue where the
documentation on adding smf-sav milter to sendmail.mc was outdated for
recent sendmail versions.

Brendan