Spam Free "Archive Mail"

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:09:56 IST 2007

On 12/09/2007, Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
>
> > If you use MailWatch, accessing the messages in the non-spam (and
> > non-virus, for that matter) is then very easy. Just a matter of
> > "point-and-click":-).
> > The downside with that type of archiving (as indeed also for the
> > Archive Mail setting) is that it will consume a fair amount of disk.
>
> Not a big problem if you set your archive cleanup appropriately.  A
> couple weeks worth of archives works for me but I'm just using it as an
> emergency poor man's backup.  Easily taylored to fit however.

True.

> > Since you can use the non-spam quarantine for what you want, there
> > really is no need for a "Keep Archive Clean" setting;-).
>
> Hmmm.  I'm not sure I understand that.  I 'quarantine' both spam and
> non-spam, but I also keep it clean.  If it's a virus, I don't want it,
> period.  If it's a false positive the sender can repackage and resend.

I think you miss the context of the comment.... It is regarding the
fact that the Archive Mail setting will archive _everything_ just as
it was received, regardless if it is a virus, spam, bad content ....
whatever. Since you can use the nonspam quarantine as a "cleaned
archive", you don't really need anything like a Keep Archived Mail
Clean (a bit like the Keep Spam And MCP Quarantine Clean setting...
Might be that that you're thinking of?). Even if the distinct
quarantines (virus, spam, nonspam ...) are in the same directory
hierarchy, they really are separate;-).

> > You'll find the messages in something like
> > /var/spool/MailScanner/<date>/nonspam/<queue ID> ... If you don't
> > quarantine the messages as queue files (this is a requirement of
> > MailWatch), they will be plain text RFC822 files.
>
> I've never quarantined my messages as queue files, and I've been able to
> release from MailWatch just fine.  I didn't see anything in the
> MailWatch install doc about that setting.  This something new?

No, setting it like you have is the requirement I'm talking
about;-):-). It's right there in the install docs for MailWatch;).

> We are talking about the 'Quarantine Whole Messages as Queue Files'
> setting, right?  Mine has always been set to no.  All the quarantine
> mail is sitting in the quarantine directories as whole messages -
> headers at the top, then the body.
Yes. That is the RFC822 format I mention.

>  They're not in a format that I could
> just drop back into /var/spool/mqueue for easy delivery to my internal
> server.  Changing that will (should?) make it really simple to just
> copy/move the files from the approprite quarantine directory to the
> mqueue directory and then go get a cup of joe.
>
> Right?

True, they would be more easy to release from the command line. But
itäd break MailWatch a bit (since the detail view of the message need
be able to read a consistent file format ...). So don't do it if you
plan on keeping MailWatch Kevin...;-).

> S'later...

Cheers
--