Spam Free "Archive Mail"

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Sep 12 19:45:35 IST 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:

> If you use MailWatch, accessing the messages in the non-spam (and
> non-virus, for that matter) is then very easy. Just a matter of
> "point-and-click":-).
> The downside with that type of archiving (as indeed also for the
> Archive Mail setting) is that it will consume a fair amount of disk.

Not a big problem if you set your archive cleanup appropriately.  A
couple weeks worth of archives works for me but I'm just using it as an
emergency poor man's backup.  Easily taylored to fit however.

> Since you can use the non-spam quarantine for what you want, there
> really is no need for a "Keep Archive Clean" setting;-).

Hmmm.  I'm not sure I understand that.  I 'quarantine' both spam and
non-spam, but I also keep it clean.  If it's a virus, I don't want it,
period.  If it's a false positive the sender can repackage and resend.

> You'll find the messages in something like
> /var/spool/MailScanner/<date>/nonspam/<queue ID> ... If you don't
> quarantine the messages as queue files (this is a requirement of
> MailWatch), they will be plain text RFC822 files.

I've never quarantined my messages as queue files, and I've been able to
release from MailWatch just fine.  I didn't see anything in the
MailWatch install doc about that setting.  This something new?

We are talking about the 'Quarantine Whole Messages as Queue Files'
setting, right?  Mine has always been set to no.  All the quarantine
mail is sitting in the quarantine directories as whole messages -
headers at the top, then the body.  They're not in a format that I could
just drop back into /var/spool/mqueue for easy delivery to my internal
server.  Changing that will (should?) make it really simple to just
copy/move the files from the approprite quarantine directory to the
mqueue directory and then go get a cup of joe.

Right?

S'later...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500