Spam Free "Archive Mail"

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Sep 12 20:20:38 IST 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 12/09/2007, Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:
>> Glenn Steen wrote:
>>
>>> If you use MailWatch, accessing the messages in the non-spam (and
>>> non-virus, for that matter) is then very easy. Just a matter of
>>> "point-and-click":-). The downside with that type of archiving (as
>>> indeed also for the Archive Mail setting) is that it will consume a
>>> fair amount of disk.
>>
>> Not a big problem if you set your archive cleanup appropriately.  A
>> couple weeks worth of archives works for me but I'm just using it as
>> an emergency poor man's backup.  Easily taylored to fit however.
>
> True.
>
>>> Since you can use the non-spam quarantine for what you want, there
>>> really is no need for a "Keep Archive Clean" setting;-).
>>
>> Hmmm.  I'm not sure I understand that.  I 'quarantine' both spam and
>> non-spam, but I also keep it clean.  If it's a virus, I don't want
>> it, period.  If it's a false positive the sender can repackage and
>> resend.
>
> I think you miss the context of the comment.... It is regarding the
> fact that the Archive Mail setting will archive _everything_ just as
> it was received, regardless if it is a virus, spam, bad content ....
> whatever. Since you can use the nonspam quarantine as a "cleaned
> archive", you don't really need anything like a Keep Archived Mail
> Clean (a bit like the Keep Spam And MCP Quarantine Clean setting...
> Might be that that you're thinking of?). Even if the distinct
> quarantines (virus, spam, nonspam ...) are in the same directory
> hierarchy, they really are separate;-).
>
>>> You'll find the messages in something like
>>> /var/spool/MailScanner/<date>/nonspam/<queue ID> ... If you don't
>>> quarantine the messages as queue files (this is a requirement of
>>> MailWatch), they will be plain text RFC822 files.
>>
>> I've never quarantined my messages as queue files, and I've been
>> able to release from MailWatch just fine.  I didn't see anything in
>> the MailWatch install doc about that setting.  This something new?
>
> No, setting it like you have is the requirement I'm talking
> about;-):-). It's right there in the install docs for MailWatch;).

Weird - I'll have to go look again.  I parsed the INSTALL doc, and didn't see it but not the other files.

>> We are talking about the 'Quarantine Whole Messages as Queue Files'
>> setting, right?  Mine has always been set to no.  All the quarantine
>> mail is sitting in the quarantine directories as whole messages -
>> headers at the top, then the body.
> Yes. That is the RFC822 format I mention.
>
>>  They're not in a format that I could
>> just drop back into /var/spool/mqueue for easy delivery to my
>> internal server.  Changing that will (should?) make it really simple
>> to just copy/move the files from the approprite quarantine directory
>> to the mqueue directory and then go get a cup of joe.
>>
>> Right?
>
> True, they would be more easy to release from the command line. But
> itäd break MailWatch a bit (since the detail view of the message need
> be able to read a consistent file format ...). So don't do it if you
> plan on keeping MailWatch Kevin...;-).

Ok, I'll leave it as is.  I do want to keep using MailWatch.  Someday I should come up w/a routine to turn the rfc view into queue format but there's never enough time.  Sigh.

Thanks amigo...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500