yum repositories, was: Just some ideas for upcoming MailScanner releases

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon Sep 10 08:14:41 IST 2007

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Tom G. Christensen wrote on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:31:08 +0200:
>
>> The MS tarball includes atleast one core module newer than what is
>> shipped with perl 5.8.8.
>
> This doesn't mean you need it.

In that case I'd very much like a list of the versions *actually* needed.
I would also recommend that this list is fed into install.sh so that it
doesn't insist on trying to upgrade the modules if there's a perfectly
adequate vendor supported version installed.

> Then you install *only* the
> mailscanner*.rpm from the tarball. And only that should be what gets
> installed via yum. There's no dependency on File::Temp v0.18 in the rpm, so
> there should be none when installed via yum. As File::Temp is already part
> of Perl there should not even be a dependency on *any* version of it for
> those OSes that ship with it included.

There should most certainly be an unversioned Requires: perl(File::Temp)
in the rpm otherwise it's broken.
I can understand why it's not like that right now since the rpm is
supposed to be generic enough to be used on all RPM based dists, it will
however not be okay for a yum repo targetting RHEL like rpmforge.
Known minimum versions of modules must be expressed in the rpm somehow,
either by explicitly requiring a perl version known to have them or by
explicit dist specific requires on rpms that install these modules.

If I can't do yum install mailscanner and have it pull in all the needed
dependencies there there's no point to having a yum repository for MS.

> One thing that is more of a problem is what Phil Randal pointed out. Some
> things that you normally do "half-automated" after installation have to be
> incorporated in the yum install process and run automatically in a senseful
> way.

Actually I consider that much less of a problem.

-tgc