yum repositories, was: Just some ideas for upcoming MailScanner releases

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sat Sep 8 08:23:06 IST 2007

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Tom G. Christensen wrote on Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:31:08 +0200:
>
>> The MS tarball includes atleast one core module newer than what is
>> shipped with perl 5.8.8.
>
> This doesn't mean you need it.
>
>> This means even a dist like CentOS5 needs this module updated unless the
>>   version dependency is lowered.
>
> Not at all. You install all modules that CentOS5 (or whichever else)
> doesn't have, for instance from rpmforge. Then you install *only* the
> mailscanner*.rpm from the tarball. And only that should be what gets
> installed via yum. There's no dependency on File::Temp v0.18 in the rpm, so
> there should be none when installed via yum. As File::Temp is already part
> of Perl there should not even be a dependency on *any* version of it for
> those OSes that ship with it included.
>
> One thing that is more of a problem is what Phil Randal pointed out. Some
> things that you normally do "half-automated" after installation have to be
> incorporated in the yum install process and run automatically in a senseful
> way.

Not nescessarily. At least I do not expect yum to update my config files
but add the new default ones to the system with the .rpmnew addition.

A tool like Nagios can have a really serious set of config files and I
appreciate it that my config files remain intact after a `yum update
nagios`. I know I have to recheck the config files against the new
version.

Just point out the steps in the post install script but NOT automate this.

Hugo.

 	(Thanks JFK, for this quote of George Bernard Shaw.)