Running as a Milter?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 11 17:59:16 IST 2007

on 10/10/2007 6:01 PM Jay Chandler spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 10/10/2007 3:21 PM Jay Chandler spake the following:
>>> Now that Postfix supports a milter interface, has anyone had any luck
>>> getting MailScanner to run in-line so it can reject during the SMTP
>>> conversation?
>> MailScanner doesn't work that way. It isn't a milter. If you want to
>> reject inline, there are milters that will do that.
>>

> Yeah, that's a bit unfortunate.  I was under the impression that using a
> milter might have been an interesting direction to go in as far as
> getting MailScanner to run inline.  Unfortunately, I'm as close to being
> a developer as I am to being a nuclear physicist, so I'm probably not
> the man to do it...

Mailscanner works much better the way it is designed. There are many ways to
stop content at the early phases. You can use blacklists at the MTA. You can
use milters, (clam has a milter, and so does DCC, and there are all sorts of
milters for spamassassin or url scans).

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and