Bayes not learning? exchange environment

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Nov 20 17:09:06 GMT 2007

on 11/20/2007 8:30 AM Joey Marino spake the following:
> I recently installed a mailscanner filter in front of my exchange
> server. It was working fine for a few weeks then slowly let more and
> more spam through. Today it's letting alot of spam through. I am
> trying to verify that Bayes is learning, how would I do that? Also how
> do I verify that the spam rules are being updated?
>
> I also tried to place spam in a public folder on my exchange server
> and update bayes with these emails using this method provided by the
> wiki
>  http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_spam:spamassassin:sa-learn:msexchange
> It just stops executing at this line in the python script:
> log.write(commands.getoutput("%s --prefs-file=%s --spam %s" %
> (SALEARN, PREFS, TMPFILE)))
> any ideas? I'm trying to determine what this line is accomplishing.
>
> Joey Marino
Is there any bayes scores in the headers of the messages?
Are you running any extra rules from rulesemporium.com?
Are you properly set up to not accept mail to non-existent addresses?
Does your exchange server have a non-public address that can only be reached
by the mailscanner box? Otherwise the spammers will find it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and