Bayes not learning? exchange environment

Joey Marino joey.da3rd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:51:21 GMT 2007

http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_spam:spamassassin:sa-learn:msexchange
>> It just stops executing at this line in the python script:
>> log.write(commands.getoutput("%s --prefs-file=%s --spam %s" %
.> (SALEARN, PREFS, TMPFILE)))
>> any ideas? I'm trying to determine what this line is accomplishing.
>>
>> Joey Marino

>Is there any bayes scores in the headers of the messages?
>Are you running any extra rules from rulesemporium.com?
>Are you properly set up to not accept mail to non-existent addresses?
>Does your exchange server have a non-public address that can only be
reached
>by the mailscanner box? Otherwise the spammers will find it.

1. I am new to this, so please excuse any dumbness I may portray
I am not sure how to read the headers other than the reports from MailWatch
Here is an example header:
From: "Marty Kimball" <lbarlow at nanapun.com>
To: <elliott at whippleauction.com>
Subject: MoneybackPolicyInternationalPharShipping
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:28:56 +0100

Now the information in the rows following "SpamAssassin" in this particular
report show all [N]'s
In the messages that were recognized as spam, The  "SpamAssassin
Autolearn:"  row show's [Y]
I hope that answers the first question

2. I ran rules_du_jour (which is also in my cron tab) and the report shows
that I did update rules from SARE. This message was in my summary report:
No index found for ruleset named ANTIDRUG.  Check that this ruleset is still
valid.
3. I don't think I am set up to not accept mail to non-existent addresses, I
didn't create a list of existing email addresses or link it to my exchange
server active directory. How would I do this and how would this help?
4. I believe the exchange server does have a private address. All incoming
SMTP requests are staticly routed to the mailscanner box. I ran a DNS lookup
for the hostname of the box and nothing was found. How else would I verify
this to be correct?
--
Joey Marino