OT: Best virtual machine server?

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Nov 12 03:46:07 GMT 2007

R Wahyudi wrote:
> Xen?
>> Never used it, have been reading the RedHat docs on it, looks like it
>> needs a lot of text editing, but there also appears to be "virt-manager"
>> that does a lot of the hard work for you. I want a system that is easy
>> to get up and running, and easy to do everything with the host and the
>> guests without physical access to the host hardware, once the host is setup.
>> One question: what is the difference between domain0 and the host
>> physical system?
>>
> domain0 = host physical system.
> We use Xen for all virtualized environment  to consolidate old
> hardware .. so not in a big way ..
> I find it quite easy to manage, especially if you run same OS on the
> host and guest.
> Once guest host is setup,  user on the guest machine can do whatever
> they like in the guest host without affecting domain0.
> Xen support full virtualization but you need to have CPU that support
> it ( Intell VT-x / Vanderpool or AMD-V)
>
> If you want easy to use GUI, try http://www.enomalism.com.
> I never use it but their doco stated that they have interface to
> transform VMWare image to xen image.
>
> Regards,
> Rianto Wahyudi

Enomalism isn't too bad, but based on talking to the company who
developed it, it's about to be much better (they were suggesting, around
end of November or December time frame) removing a lot of the
unnecessary framework the package had. Currently, I think enomalism only
supports a specific version of Xen.