Sendmail and Unexpected EOM

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Mon Nov 5 15:46:20 GMT 2007

Quentin Campbell wrote:
> [...]

Recently, I saw this happening to mail from one of our hosting
webservers. The only indication in the mail log on the mailscanner box
was the 'EOM' message, and the only indication in the maillog on the
hosting server was deferred, stat='broken pipe' and some nasty TLS errors.

I discovered when running 'sendmail -v -q' on the hosting box that the
email was being blocked by milter-link, which does rhsdnsbl lookups on
links in the email, but nameservers were timing out trying to lookup
hostnames in form submissions containing hundreds of spam urls, many of
which were lame delegations, or broken in other ways. I'd post some, but
they wouldn't get very far. :-)
It can be hard to track these down!

Ken

--