Sendmail and Unexpected EOM

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Nov 5 12:33:15 GMT 2007

Scott

What evidence do you have that it is your end rather than the sending
site, or somewhere in between, that is at fault?

Although a 'traceroute' does not always work (because ICMP is disabled
at gateways) it may indicate some large delay on the route between the
sender and you.

I also see the 'premature EOM' messages here and have assumed them to be
a problem for the sender, not us.

Where they occur after we have returned 'REJECT' status for all
recipients after a DNSBL lookup, I assume that because the sender is a
spammer they do not bother to close down the SMTP connection with a
RESET or QUIT and simply move on to start a new SMTP connection with
another target.

Quentin