inodes problem

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 31 18:10:33 IST 2007

Sarah Trayser spake the following on 5/31/2007 2:34 AM:
>> I am using the mailscanner as an end user without much knowledge since
>> it was installed for me.
>> I have a VPS and i saw inodes getting to 100%.
>> I searched this list and found an old issue from 2002, but that was
>> fixed long time ago.
>>  var/ spool/ MailScanner/ incoming/  get full of directories and they
>> are not cleaned/removed. And i do suppose that these are all temp
>> files.
>> So the Q, is this a bug, or a configuration, or better does somebody
>> know a fix?
>> I am running 2.53  of Mailscanner.
>
> It's not actually version 2.53 of MailScanner, it's version 2.53 of
> our installer script for MailScanner on cPanel servers. The version of
> MailScanner he's using would be v4.58.9. I directed him to post his
> question to this list as we do not know what the answer is. Temporary
> empty directories seem to be building up in the directory
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/. They are not quarantine files. He's
> using exim as the MTA. Shouldn't these directories be getting deleted
> automatically on a regular basis?

A little off topic, but MailScanner systems get a big performance boost by
running the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/ directory in tmpfs. You would
need to make sure that it didn't fill up, and it might be a permission problem
in your setups. The bug that was mentioned is several years old, and should be
long gone.
Do you have reports of other people with your setup having the same problem?

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and