inodes problem

Sarah Trayser waytotheweb at googlemail.com
Thu May 31 18:47:32 IST 2007

On 31/05/07, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> A little off topic, but MailScanner systems get a big performance boost by
> running the /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/ directory in tmpfs. You would
> need to make sure that it didn't fill up, and it might be a permission problem
> in your setups.

This often cannot be done on a VPS which is why we do not configure it
that way in our setups.

> The bug that was mentioned is several years old, and should be
> long gone.
> Do you have reports of other people with your setup having the same problem?

No, we have not come across this as a problem before. On one of our
own servers there are 700 of these old empty directories, on another
350,  and on another only 150. I just had a look to see if I could
find any pattern and it does look like these are being left behind
*primarily* at the time of the nightly cPanel software update, so that
at least gives us a clue. MailScanner would be restarted following
this update.

--
Regards,
Sarah Trayser