Attachments messed up going to Exchange

Michael Crider mcrider at hoecoop.org
Wed May 30 17:19:45 IST 2007

We migrated from a hosted mail server to an in-house server one month
ago, running CentOS 4.4, MailScanner 4.59.4, Postfix 2.2.10, ClamAV and
SpamAssassin 3.1.7, initially installed from the howto at hughesjr.com,
then fine tuned with the awesome info in FSL's manual and the mail list
archives. Today is the first day with a problem that I haven't seen
covered (may have overlooked). One of our users is trying to send an
attachment to the USDA. She has tried both xls and pdf files. In both
cases the person receiving it says he is only getting a .dat file.
According to his email headers, he is using Exchange 6.0, and our user
is using Thunderbird 2.0. She can email them to other users without a
problem (have tested both local users and my home email account). His
replies have all come back with the original email inline (no headers or
attachments), so I can't tell where the problem is. She had emailed
attachments to him as recently as April 3 through the hosted server
without a problem, but I have no idea how it was configured (I know it
ran SpamAssassin, but nothing beyond that). Has anyone else seen
anything like this, or have suggestions on what I should look for? I
don't know how computer literate he is, so I don't know how much to ask
him (and Washington DC is a long way from Missouri for me to run over
and look myself :).

Thanks for any advice.
Michael

believed to be clean.