Attachments messed up going to Exchange

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Wed May 30 17:39:47 IST 2007

Michael Crider wrote:
> We migrated from a hosted mail server to an in-house server one month
> ago, running CentOS 4.4, MailScanner 4.59.4, Postfix 2.2.10, ClamAV
> and SpamAssassin 3.1.7, initially installed from the howto at
> hughesjr.com, then fine tuned with the awesome info in FSL's manual
> and the mail list archives. Today is the first day with a problem that
> I haven't seen covered (may have overlooked). One of our users is
> trying to send an attachment to the USDA. She has tried both xls and
> pdf files. In both cases the person receiving it says he is only
> getting a .dat file. According to his email headers, he is using
> Exchange 6.0, and our user is using Thunderbird 2.0. She can email
> them to other users without a problem (have tested both local users
> and my home email account). His replies have all come back with the
> original email inline (no headers or attachments), so I can't tell
> where the problem is. She had emailed attachments to him as recently
> as April 3 through the hosted server without a problem, but I have no
> idea how it was configured (I know it ran SpamAssassin, but nothing
> beyond that). Has anyone else seen anything like this, or have
> suggestions on what I should look for? I don't know how computer
> literate he is, so I don't know how much to ask him (and Washington DC
> is a long way from Missouri for me to run over and look myself :).
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> Michael

You need to set the format to "HTML" or "Plain Text" instead of "Rich
Text", at least on the client - and preferably tell Exchange not to mess
with it either, since Exchange will (depending on your settings)
reformat it using RTF. RTF is a PITA.

When you *do* get the messages that "look" blank (no attachments, etc.),
look at the message source. You'll see a WINMAIL.DAT that's been
uuencoded or something. By taking the message source, running it through
a UUDECODEr, and running the resulting WINMAIL.DAT through a de-RTFer,
you should get the original message and/or attachments.