Forcing processing of mails in incomming queue

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue May 29 14:03:28 IST 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:
> Um, exactly what effect are you looking for there Alex? If it's in
> that queue, doesn't it stay there until MS is well and truly done with
> it (Just out of curiosity, since I don't use Sendmail:-)....? That's
> what I'd expect anyway...
>
> So... Maiking MailScanner work as well as possible would be the sole
> "true solution" there, now wouldn't you agree?
>
> Cheers

True. I was just answering the question. I would guess a situation where
this would be needed would be one where, for some reason (say, a
corrupted /etc/MailScanner directory, broken perl, etc.) would require
you to free the incoming queue (at least until you can "fix" whatever's
wrong with MailScanner). Of course, this would have to be done after
stopping (and/or killing) any running MailScanner processes.

I think I've had this happen once or twice. After the broken MailScanner
install was fixed, everything worked normally. In the meantime I would
either sendmail -q -v -O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in and run
plain old sendmail until MailScanner was fixed, and then stop sendmail
and run MailScanner.