Enabling bounces

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu May 24 15:31:52 IST 2007

John Wilcock wrote on Thu, 24 May 2007 13:52:52 +0200:

> Yes, you need to add a corresponding ruleset for the spam actions, with
> bounce set as an action for the offending sender.

But then I do not understand the whole thing at all. If I put bounce in the
Spam Score Actions, then it will apply for everyone. If I make it a ruleset,
then I don't see how or why the other ruleset is necessary/works.

Example:

Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/spam.actions.rules
->
From:   IP  bounce
FromOrTo:   default     default store notify header "X-Spam-Status: Yes"

what for do I then need
Enable Spam Bounce = %rules-dir%/bounce.rules
for?

> Likewise, MailScanner won't bounce high scoring spam even if you tell it
> to via the Enable Spam Bounce rule (as I found out when I tried to send
> a GTUBE to test my setup!)

Oh, I think I now understand, bummer. It's high-scoring spam that I want to
bounce back. So, using *only*
Enable Spam Bounce = %rules-dir%/bounce.rules
(and not Spam Actions)
would work if it is low-scoring spam?

Hm. What I want to do is bounce spam (or other messages) back that I get
from a specific customer who moved to his own in-house poorly maintained
mailserver (Exchange). Instead of having a decent spam detection he bounces
all non-deliverable mail back via his smarthost - which happens to be me. If
I just stop him dead I'm gonna sure loose him. If I try to explain and
convince him (already tried) that he should "bounce" during the SMTP
connection it takes me a year. So, I wanted to boost all the messages that
come from postmaster at hisdomain via Spamassassin to 20 or so, detect them as
spam and bounce back to him until he understands.
As the sender envelope is empty I can only rely on methods that look at the
mail headers. And I don't want to add another milter to the mix.
Any ideas how I can do it with MailScanner (as obviously what I had in mind
won't work).

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany