Connection Deffered

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Wed May 16 14:55:24 IST 2007

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> I am hoping someone is willing to help me with this.  I thought that I
> had the problem fixed but maybe not.  I believe that current incoming
> email is coming through MailScanner and to the Exchange server.  The
> problem is that ther are about 650 emails that will not go through.  I
> get this:
>
> Command:
> sendmail -v -bp -OQueueDirectory=//var/spool/mqueue

/var/spool/mqueue holds stuff already processed by MailScanner and
waiting to go out (or be delivered locally)
> Result (about 650 of these):
> l4FL9c8I028182   998389    6606332+May 15 17:09 <mraines at locke.com>
>                  (Deferred: Connection refused by [10.1.1.22])

This says (to me) that 10.1.1.22, who was *supposed* to receive that
e-mail, isn't accepting connections - or dropping them or something.
> <RINSELBERG at woodmclaw.com>
>
> I have sendmail, Cent OS 4.4.

Try ssh'ing into that CentOS box, then telnet'ing to the M Sexchange
server's port 25 like:

$ telnet 10.1.1.22 25
you should get:

220 Blablahblah Microsoft blahblah vulnerable blahblah if it weren't for
MailScanner I'd be !%#!&%# blah blah version xxx.xxx

If you don't, your M Sexchange server could have a problem with its SMTP
process being broken/down/hung/etc. - you should look into restarting
all M Sexchange-related processes just to be on the safe side, I think.