mailscanner error, but doesn't appear to affect delivery?

Matt Hayes dominian at slackadelic.com
Tue May 15 21:44:41 IST 2007

Daniel Maher wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I recently built a brand-new incoming mail server, using Postfix 2.4.x,
> SpamAssassin 3.2.x, and the newest MailScanner and MailWatch packages.
>  It works properly, in that it receives, scans, tags, and delivers mail;
> however, every mail that it parses produces the following error in the
> mail log:
>

> May 15 20:26:41 localhost MailScanner[3225]:
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/3225/./23322FA4E.22E9F.header: Unable to
> open file or directory ERROR
>

> Of course, the path (which exists, and is readable by MailScanner) and
> filename are different for each mail, but the message is the same.
>  Again, as I mentioned above, the mail is properly scanned and
> delivered, so the error doesn’t appear to be affecting behaviour at all.
>  That said, it is worrisome that an error is being produced at all –
> especially if it’s “not really” an error.
>

> Any ideas?

Its looking to use /dev/shm.

I had the same issue.  Once I setup fstab to load /dev/shm and mounted
it.. the error went away.

For some odd reason, with the newest release of MailScanner.. it
actually wants spamassassin to use /dev/shm.. which actually helps speed
up scan times.

However, in previous versions, I found the same "if /dev/shm exists use
it" for SA and it wasn't being used... but suddenly it does hehe.

Invoking MailScanner in debug mode would've helped you to figure this out :)

-Matt