mailscanner error, but doesn't appear to affect delivery?

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Tue May 15 21:34:33 IST 2007

Hi all,

I recently built a brand-new incoming mail server, using Postfix 2.4.x, SpamAssassin 3.2.x, and the newest MailScanner and MailWatch packages.  It works properly, in that it receives, scans, tags, and delivers mail; however, every mail that it parses produces the following error in the mail log:

May 15 20:26:41 localhost MailScanner[3225]: /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/3225/./23322FA4E.22E9F.header: Unable to open file or directory ERROR

Of course, the path (which exists, and is readable by MailScanner) and filename are different for each mail, but the message is the same.  Again, as I mentioned above, the mail is properly scanned and delivered, so the error doesn't appear to be affecting behaviour at all.  That said, it is worrisome that an error is being produced at all - especially if it's "not really" an error.

Any ideas?

--

  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." -- Albert Einstein.