Different Send/Receive Virus Notifications?

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Tue Mar 27 19:20:17 CEST 2007

Paul Hutchings wrote:
> On an inbound/outbound smtp relay box, is it possible to configure
> different virus notifications for outbound mail than for inbound mail?
>
> I ask because if a virus is detected in an inbound mail, I want the
> recipient to be notified (and the infected file discarded) and for the
> sender NOT to be notified.

I'm sure there are those who will agree that notifying users that a
virus was sent to them from a faked address (AFAIK every virus since the
late 20th century does this) is unneeded traffic.
> If by some chance something slips past the internal Antivirus and
> MailScanner detects a virus, I would prefer than the message were
> discared, and our sender notified but NOT the recipient.

This also becomes a problem, since your original sender will be faked by
the virus itself. The wrong people will most likely be notified, causing
unnecessary false alarms. Virus notices, IMHO, are better silently
discarded nowadays.