OT: IP address reputation, BorderWare

Dennis Willson taz at taz-mania.com
Fri Mar 23 16:18:36 CET 2007

Why yes, I know how SAV handles greylisting.

When SAV receives a temp failure, SAV returns a temp failure. A real
mail server will try again later which will cause SAV to verify again
when the sending server retrys. This works just fine. However, if you
run greylisting too, this adds a double delay on th delivery of the email.

I can live with that.

DAve wrote:
> Chris Yuzik wrote:
>> Res wrote:
>>> The key here, you spoke to a salesman.
>> Heh. It could have been worse...I might have talked to a marketing
>> guy. ;-)
>>> Many ISP's are doing this and it upsets their stats so of course
>>> they dont want you to use it. Word gets around that it does this,
>>> more people will shy away from their product, they dont care at all
>>> about you protecting your users...unless you buy and use their product.
>>>
>>> Keep using the milter.
>> Apparently, Matt is working on a modification to SMF-SAV that will
>> change the order of the checks so that the sender is only verified IF
>> they're sending to a real recipient on our end. As soon as that comes
>> out, we'll implement that.
>>

> Does anyone know how greylisting affects milter-sav? What happens when
> I send an email to you and you attempt to verify me, and I greylist
> your attempt? You surely don't try to hold my delivery connection for
> 5 minutes waiting to try again do you?
>
> If you refuse the delivery, I'll try again later and the whole cycle
> would begin anew because without a successful connection within a
> specified time, you will never get make it into my whitelist correct?
>
> DAve

Dennis Willson

taz at taz-mania.com
http://www.taz-mania.com

Ham (Extra Class): KA6LSW
GMRS : WQGF680
Scuba: Rescue Diver, EANx, Wreck, Night, Alt, Equip, UW Photographer, Gas Blender

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a nice looking and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"