OT: IP address reputation, BorderWare

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Mar 23 05:24:09 CET 2007

DAve wrote:
> Chris Yuzik wrote:
>> Res wrote:
>>> The key here, you spoke to a salesman.
>> Heh. It could have been worse...I might have talked to a marketing
>> guy. ;-)
>>> Many ISP's are doing this and it upsets their stats so of course they
>>> dont want you to use it. Word gets around that it does this, more
>>> people will shy away from their product, they dont care at all about
>>> you protecting your users...unless you buy and use their product.
>>>
>>> Keep using the milter.
>> Apparently, Matt is working on a modification to SMF-SAV that will
>> change the order of the checks so that the sender is only verified IF
>> they're sending to a real recipient on our end. As soon as that comes
>> out, we'll implement that.
>>

> Does anyone know how greylisting affects milter-sav? What happens when I
> send an email to you and you attempt to verify me, and I greylist your
> attempt? You surely don't try to hold my delivery connection for 5
> minutes waiting to try again do you?
>
> If you refuse the delivery, I'll try again later and the whole cycle
> would begin anew because without a successful connection within a
> specified time, you will never get make it into my whitelist correct?
>
> DAve

Hmm, likely questions for the SMF-SAV list, but looking through my MW
current messages I wonder how SMF-SAV handles the many messages from web
forms my users get, IE "nobody at some-webserver.com"?

(I am constantly needling our developers to fix those when I see them. I
flat refuse to turn up a new website until I can reply to anything that
comes off a webform ;^)

DAve

Veterans?