Phishing Filter Question

am.lists am.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 04:23:18 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, am.lists wrote:
>
> > I'm currently fighting some usability issues surrounding the phishing filter.
> >
> > The perfect example to share is Google Alert emails. Every link is
> > flagged due to the way that the email is crafted. (sample screenshot:
> > http://tinyurl.com/27yx68 )
>
> Cant see your screenshot as I dont use GUI for lists/newsgroups

The problem, Res, is that Google Alerts takes a headline (e.g. "Blonde
Bombers Make Potato Salad Sunday Night") and makes it a link to the
article.

The result is something that reads (text version here, mind you)

MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
"www.blondebombers.com" claiming to be Blonde Bombers Make Potato
Salad Sunday Night.

In the docs, it says for this to pass, I would whitelist (add to
phishing safe sites file) www.blondebombers.com. Nothing about the
envelope/sender. According to the docs, adding the google alerts email
will be fruitless.

Unless, there's an assertion in the docs that's implied that I'm just
not picking up on.

-Angelo